Friday, June 19, 2009

Just Keep Pedaling: Day One

[Seattle to Skykomish, WA; 75 miles]
Our first day of the Journey kicked off with the team cycling on a bike path leading out of the city. All was going smoothly until Brian, aka “Cankles” (named for the lack of distinction between his calves and ankles), accidently struck a pole that stood in the middle of the path. Not only did the incident significantly cut up his leg (see below), but it also did a number on his bike. He was taken out of rotation to a bike shop and, somewhat inexplicably, back on the road within 17 miles thanks to our fantastic crew.


Ouch

After merging off the path onto legitimate roads, I began to realize the breadth of what I had gotten myself into. I had never previously done a ride close to 75 miles and my legs were certainly responding to the rolling landscape. It became apparent to me that some of the techniques I had employed while training would not translate well to this kind of ride. I was consistently wasting necessary energy and found myself struggling to keep up with my “pace line” (a small subgroup of riders that cycle in close proximity) in the later portion of the ride. Despite my mounting feelings of frustration, inadequacy and “my leggggggs,” I minded the advice and encouragement of Dean Peterson (our cycling coach for the beginning of the trip who has achieved a mythic “Chuck Norris” like status in our eyes) and my teammates and finished the day.

Skykomish rests beside a river and old railroad and is perhaps the smallest town I’ve ever set foot in. That night I walked with a small group of fellow cyclists to the local bar to have a celebratory “first ride” beer. Despite being nearly the only people in attendance, the place was surprisingly better set up than the West Ends, Lighthouses and Sandy’s (the primary Elon waterholes) of the world!

My first day may not have gone perfectly, but it fired me up to rise to the occasion and face the challenge ahead. Now for day two!

No comments:

Post a Comment