Friday, June 19, 2009

“I’m On a Bike!”

[Wenatchee to Coulee City, WA; 75 miles]

While the dread associated with a first major climb had subsided, we were well aware that we would face several uphill treks on this day. After a first hour primarily spent trying to construct a “bike” remix to the comedic song “I’m on a Boat” with my teammate Max, we reached the first major ascent. When a day is hot and a climb long, I have found strange things float in and out of my mind. In this case it was the new Miley Cyrus song “The Climb” in which Hannah Montana herself makes parallels to mountains and fighting uphill battles. Despite the impact on my manhood, I was pleasantly surprised to find this song blaring at a crew stop toward the summit!

As the day progressed, it became clear to us that the state of Washington features some seriously diverse topography. The breakdown we experienced is as follows: rainforest -> mountainous -> desert -> rolling plains. I would encourage the state to make up its mind, but variety is the spice of life and certainly appreciated on lengthy bike rides.

After a fast-paced downhill arrival into Coulee City, we were treated to dinner by representatives of the Cattlewomen’s Association of America. I’ll be real: I had no idea what this would entail! However, the reality was a duo of women serving us some of the best beef I’ve ever tasted along with my first official sampling of baked beans (who am I??). Since binge eating does not go unmatched with additional eating on the JOH, we later found ourselves in pursuit of ice cream after checking out some of Coulee’s natural assets (for example: Dry Falls). In light of the following day’s schedule, we have since declared ice cream a necessity on the eve of any ride in the 100-mile ballpark (aka a “century”).


No comments:

Post a Comment