Monday, June 22, 2009

An eagle, a moose and Idaho pizza!


[Coeur d’Alene to Kellogg, ID; 85 miles]

At breakfast this morning I heard a reoccurring camp song declaring that I was “alive-awake-alert-enthusiastic,” so I decided to go with it. After earning our way off the island by helping to unload a 4,000 pound food delivery (explains the thirds), we said farewell to the singing staff of Sweyolakan. On this particular day, our team had the opportunity to be pioneers and take on a route previously untraveled by any JOH team. It’s a good thing we did, because we took an incredibly scenic route around a massive lake that included sightings of a moose AND a bald eagle! Seeing my first bald eagle in person made for quite the double take. Coupled with some great conversation with my pace line(including “brotation,” in which riders took turns sharing their most memorable college escapades), I have a feeling this will go down as one of the most enjoyable rides of the trip.

After settling into a high school in Kellogg featuring a dynamic mountain backdrop and making a few check-in phone calls, I joined my teammates in a ravenous search for food. I was very pleased when we settled on pizza, since it is widely regarded to be my lifeblood. Admittedly being from New York has made me somewhat of a pizza snob (and receiving a pink thermal cup to drink out of made me a bit uneasy), but I must say the pizza absolutely rocked my world. I returned to lodging in a bit of a food coma (typical) and anticipated a morning ride to Paradise, Montana that, according to word on the street, would prove to be among the most challenging days of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment