Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A dedication

I realized there was something important I neglected to mention in my last entry. Each morning before we ride, the team comes together and nominates a person to ride in honor of for that particular day. The stories that come up are usually powerful and help to center us before we begin the task at hand.

For our ride to Wheatland, WY (the longest of the summer), I felt compelled to dedicate the ride to my grandmother “Nana,” who passed away on May 1 after a courageous battle with her illness. I actually found out that she passed away at my Pi Kappa Phi Roseball in Charleston and it hit me pretty hard. Not only was it a blow to begin with, but I felt awful that I didn’t reach out to her over the phone in her last days. With graduation, JOH preparation and persistent thoughts about what my next step will be this fall, it feels like I haven't had time to fully let everything settle. That’s one thing that is so great about JOH – there is plenty of time to spend with your thoughts. I have been thinking about her a lot and I am so happy I was able to ride in her honor. We love and miss you Nana!

On a final note: I heard the song “For a Dancer” by Jackson Browne on the radio for the first time when my mom was dropping me off at the airport after everything happened [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU1rZa8Ur_Q]. I think it’s a beautiful and fitting song and it will make me think of her from now on.




No comments:

Post a Comment