Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Borrrrrn in the USA

Farmville, VA – Our final century ride! I sincerely never thought this would be a milestone that would bum me out, but in a way it did. The ride was solid, with some scenic farmland thrown in the mix (probably implied by the name of our destination… check out our hay barrel picture below). There was also some role reversal going on, as our project manager Jeremy (a two-time rider from 1998 and 2001) spent the day as a cyclist and fellow Elon rider Robby Knelson tried his hand at crew chief – a position he is interested in for next year’s North route. Robby really nailed it with the meals, so I endorse him! After soaking up the east coast humidity I’ve apparently been oblivious to for so long, we arrived in town. That night we had a friendship visit at a center that employs people with disabilities and, while I enjoyed speaking with the individuals there, we were treated as “guests of honor” at our own table which was a bit awkward and not our style.

After the previous day’s shopping, it was time for our team “Secret Santa” exchange. I drew Colin Johnson, a rising junior at George Mason, as my person. In accordance with the gag gift clause, I bought him an “I Heart Music” wall plaque (based on his much, uh, scrutinized DJing abilities) and a McLovin driver’s license keychain (a reference to the movie “Superbad”) so he could ideally join the overage crowd in our celebratory D.C. festivities. I received gifts from Moff, who provided me with my casual summer addiction of Cherry Twizzler Bites as well as “diva” paraphernalia. The “diva club” is a group of us who will often assume whiny alter egos for the sake of comedy. There were a variety of other gifts presented, including (seriously) a live mouse given to future-veterinarian Cubby. Later in the evening, we had a chance to hang out at JT’s school, Longwood University, and I defeated my Isaac Polonco in a certain game Elon students tend to excel at. He wasn’t very happy… but at least he can brush up on his skills when he transfers there this Fall!

Richmond, VA – While I realize they are separated by many miles, Richmond and D.C. are fairly synonymous in my mind based on my travels up and down the east coast. I could not believe this city was now upon us. Adding to the looming feeling was the presence of staff from Push America nationals, as well as Bruce Rodgers and other Pi Alphas, who were in town for the annual three-day JOH alumni ride along to experience life on the road once again. Our friendship visit for the day was slightly out of the ordinary in a few ways. It took place at a preschool which did not primarily cater to children with disabilities. Therefore, our purpose was to spread advocacy as these children would no doubt encounter peers with disabilities in the years to come. Despite a crowd that was likely too young to fully understand our message, we performed our “Kids on the Block” puppet show. This school clearly had a vested interest in the Journey of Hope, as evidenced by a large map in the main foyer that has been tracking our progress, but we were all surprised to learn they had taken the initiative to raise $2,500 for our cause. This was something we had not seen happen all summer, so we were very appreciative.

After giving my bike Phoebe her most in-depth clean of the summer, I joined the majority of the group at a karaoke bar for the evening. I must say this place won my official Karaoke Crown of the Journey of Hope, as the performances and characters on stage just got more and more entertaining (among them the very Amurrrican “Born in the USA” by Kevin and James, and “Friends in Low Places” by Schmidt and I). With so much going on in preparation for the big day, this was essentially our last night out as a team and it was exactly what it should have been.



No comments:

Post a Comment